Altamont House & Gardens is just 1km from The Forge Restaurant.
Altamont is known as the most romantic garden in Ireland. On the doorstep of The Forge Restaurant – Altamont is an enchanting blend of formal and informal gardens located on a 100 acre estate. Whilst still little known, it ranks in the top ten of Irish gardens and is often referred to as ‘the jewel in Ireland’s gardening crown’
Facilities on Site: Picnic Tables & Public Toilets. Admission & Parking is Currently Free
Recommend Walks are signposted around the house and gardens and the longer route ‘The River Walk at Altamont’ with the 100 steps!
The 2½ acre lake was dug out after the Irish Potato Famine. Research indicates that it took 100 men with horses and carts 2 years to complete this task at a cost in 1847/8 of £12,000, a not inconsiderable sum at that time.
A Brief History of Altamont House and Garden
ORIGINALLY, Altamont is thought to have been the site of a convent, although there seem to be no existing records to corroborate this. However, the house as it exists today was evidently built upon the remains of an earlier dwelling dating from at least the 16th century; immensely thick walls, paved granite floors and arrow slit windows in the centre basement of the house testify to this. There is also evidence of a monastic site on adjoining land – the convent at Altamont is believed to have been its ‘Sister House’. At this time the estate is thought to have been known as Rose Hill, the name being subsequently changed to Soho and marked thus on a map of 1777 (produced by Taylor & Skinner). The estate eventually came to be called Altamont sometime in the late 18th century, through some connection with the Marquis of Sligo. (Lord) Altamont was a title conferred then on the eldest son.
THE REMAINS of a chapel are still to be seen on the Dark Walk, in the form of a windowed end wall. However, the stained glass herein is believed to date from Victorian times. Other fragments of the chapel have been incorporated into sections of the house – beneath the library and above the front bedroom window of the south wing.